Monday, January 9, 2012

Shangri-la

            I love libraries. I love books. And I love learning new things.
Last week I was leaving our local library with an armful of Tony Hillerman books when a new book on the display rack caught my eye. LOST IN SHANGRI-LA. Interesting title. I read James Hilton’s LOST HORIZON a million years ago when I was in high school. The Lettermen’s song, Shangri-la, is still a favorite. But Lost in Shangri-la? I had to take a second look.
Even more interesting, close up the book was labeled A true story of survival, adventure, and the most incredible rescue mission of World War II. Well, now, anyone who knows me knows I’m all over history when it doesn’t come out of a text book. Shangri-la sounded like south-east Asia and I just finished reading Colonel Scott’s book, God Is My Co-Pilot, about his experiences flying the hump in Indo-china during the war so I had to check this book out.
It’s gonna be hard getting my work done with Lost in Shangri-La in the house. 
So what does south-east Asia have to do with down-home country food? Probably not a heck of a lot but while you’re steeping yourself in the flavor of the book (and I heartily recommend it) you might enjoy the following Polynesian chicken recipe.
400 F Oven
In a baking dish, arrange:
            2 lb. broiler-fryer pieces
Season with:
             salt and pepper (I seldom use salt in my cooking so that’s optional and I don't think I've cooked with plain pepper since I discovered McCormick’s Montreal Steak seasoning. If you haven’t tried it, you should.)
Bake seasoned chicken for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, drain:
            1 (8 ¼ oz.)      can sliced pineapple, reserving a good 2 Tbsp. of the liquid.            Combine reserved liquid with:                                                                                              
      1/3 C Heinz 57 Sauce
      2    Tbsp. honey

After chicken has baked for ½ hour, remove from oven. Pour liquid over chicken. Return to oven and bake 25 minutes, basting occasionally.
Remove from oven.  Arrange pineapple over chicken. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes. Remove, drain excess fat from sauce. Arrange chicken on platter. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with cooked rice and either a tossed green or a fruit salad.
Makes 4 servings of a feast fit for Shangri-la. Happy reading and happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment