Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Crowd-pleaser for New Year's

You're busier'n a one-armed-paper-hanger, putting the last touches on the decorations for your New Year's bash, and who calls to say she and all her little curtain-climbers are showing up on your doorstep in two hours? Aunt Mary with her bazillion kids.
A quick glance at your refreshment buffet convinces you it will handle your invited guests with a little left over. But a whole tribe of extras? Not a chance! What are you gonna do now?

While the following recipe may not be from pioneer days, I've used it every Christmas/New Year's for over 40 years. A universal crowd-pleaser, it never fails to be the first treat to disappear. And, fortunately, it doesn't take all that long to make.

WALNUT BARS                                                                                          350F. Oven

Crust -
Cream together (use a fork and cream until about the consistency of coarse meal):

1/2     C. Butter (I always use baking margarine with perfect results)
1 1/2  C. Flour

Line bottom and 1/2" up the sides of a 9"X13" cake pan. Bake 15 min. DO NOT BROWN.

While crust is baking, prepare filling:

Combine:
1 1/2   C Brown Sugar, packed (I prefer C & H DARK BROWN - it has a fantastic flavor)
2         T. Flour
1/2       t.  Baking Powder
1          t.  Salt (optional - I never use salt in my baking)

Add:
2              Beaten eggs
1/2      C. Coconut
1/2      C. Chopped walnuts
1          t.  Vanilla (I have to admit, folks, I always figure if a little bit of vanilla is good, a little bit more is better so I just pour in a half-ways generous glug)

When crust is baked, remove from oven. Pour filling in and spread evenly. Return to oven and bake additional 30 minutes.

While filling is baking, prepare icing:
1 1/2      C. Powdered sugar, (sifted if you're a purist who doesn't want lumps)
2            T.  Orange Juice
2            T.  Lemon Juice
2            T.  Melted butter

Now, again, I don't exactly follow the recipe to the letter. I don't buy butter because I can't digest it so I use baking margarine and that works just fine. Also, I prefer my icing to be a little tangier and have a little more body so I use fresh-squeezed orange and lemon juices and add a little of the pulp for extra zing. I also use more like 2 1/2 C. Powdered Sugar and I rarely bother to sift it. A mixer generally does an adequate job and if it doesn't and I have time, I mash any residual lumps with a fork.

Once filling is baked, remove from oven and cut into bars (I get 24 to a 9X13 pan) then spread on the icing, letting it drizzle down into the cracks.

These bars keep very well in an air-tight container. They don't have to be refrigerated although they can be both refrigerated and frozen. But you'll have to hide them. If the family knows where you've stored 'em, they won't last till the party.

HAPPY EATING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment